The Riverwood Church of Christ was established in the
winter of 1952. The church first met Sunday, January 13th
at the Dalewood Elementary School building. Some of the
brethren who planned and worked toward this meeting were J.
W. Creech, E. G. Cullum, Lloyd Scobey, Sr., Clyde Shacklett,
Carrol Fitts, Carroll Ellis. At that first meeting there
were 230 in attendance for Bible School and 324 for morning
worship. Brother E. G. Cullum, an elder at the Trinity Lane
congregation, preached the first sermon and the contribution
The church continued to meet at the Dalewood School building
for 9 months until the new church building was ready for
occupancy. Land was purchased for $14,000 and the building
was constructed at a cost of $42,000.
The Riverwood Church of Christ met in the new facility at
1904 McGavock Pike for the first time on October 19, 1952 at
which time Brother E. G. Cullum was again asked to preach
the first sermon. In November of 1952, Boone Douthitt became
the regular minister of the congregation.
Since that beginning in 1952 the following men have served
as minister of the congregation:
1. Boone Douthitt (1952-1953)
2. Kirk Blankenship (1953-1955)
3. Dorsey Traw (1956-1958)
4. Charles Crouch (1958-1960)
5. James Watkins (1961-1967)
6. Bill Ruhl (1967-1971)
7. David East (1972-1980)
8. James Harris (1980-1987)
9. John Hoover (1987-1988)
10. Joe Bogle (1989-1997)
11. Mike Fox (1998-2000)
12. Tracy Moore (2000 to 2007)
13. Dustin Welch (2008 to 2016)
During those early years a steady growth pattern
indicated the need for expansion of the facilities. In
preparation for this expansion, properties adjoining the
existing site were purchased in 1955, 1960 and 1969.
The first worship service was held in the current
auditorium that seats 750 on February 11, 1962. There were
806 in attendance for Sunday School and 1200 present for the
morning worship service. Willard Collins was the guest
speaker at that service.
The last major expansion in 1970 was the construction of
an Educational Building. The Education Building, which
consists of 22 classrooms, a library, several offices, a
fellowship hall, and additional storage areas, was completed
at a cost of $250,000.00.
Two other pieces of real estate, located at 1807
Riverwood Drive, are owned by the congregation. They were
originally built for use as foster homes for needy children.
Due to changes in the State laws regarding foster care that
necessitated additional full-time employees, it was no
longer feasible to continue the program. Today those
facilities are serving as home for our minister and an
activity center for the congregation.
The Riverwood Church of Christ has always been interested
in helping other congregations who are in need of
assistance. One of the most successful mission efforts was a
five-year plan to assist the church in Meridian, Miss. Two
mission teams, Nancy and Bill Merritt and Lesa and Steve
Kirby, were sent into the area for a 3-to-5-year time period
to assist in building up the congregation in Meridian. The
Church of Christ in Meridian is now an active, sound, and
growing congregation .
At the present time Riverwood has four elders: Rick Binkley, Rod Boehm, Larry Borum,
and Phil Sanders. These are men with great
leadership ability, Biblical knowledge, and the willingness
to oversee the membership at the Riverwood Church. Dedicated
men who serve as deacons assist the elders by being
responsible for various aspects of the church. This includes
mission work, buildings and grounds, education, worship,
Young-at-Heart activities, publicity, benevolence and
As youth minister, Matt Hardin provides spiritual growth
for our young people through attendance at Christian camps,
devotionals in members' homes, retreats,
community service projects and many other activities.
Some of the current programs at Riverwood include the
Inner City Ministry, World Bible Study, Young-at-Heart
activities for senior members, Love Bear ministry,
preparation and mailing of
Care Boxes to our college students, and Room in the Inn. Our
active visitation program includes visits to those confined
at home, in nursing homes or hospitals.
Riverwood is thankful for all those who over the years
have contributed so much to the Lord's causes. With the
Lord's blessings, Riverwood will continue to
bear much fruit in His vineyard. We do not know what the
future holds but we do know who holds the future. There is
every reason to believe that Riverwood's best is still
Riverwood Church of Christ
1904 McGavock Pike - Nashville TN 37216 - (615) 228-3854